This shortcake is so delicious and refreshing. It's moist, spongy and the flavor is oh so good. This is a very easy recipe to make and it's so great to eat on a hot summer day....or anytime really. So let's get started.
Equipment Needed:1 8" cake pan
Big measuring cup
Measuring cups and measuring spoons
1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 room temperature egg
2/3 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1/4 butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 and 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups whipped topping
1. First thing we want to do is take out our 8" cake pan and grease it. You can grease it with some butter, flour or non-stick spray. I prefer to use the non-stick spray.
2. We want to pre-heat our oven to 350°F. This will allow our oven to pre-heat while we work.
3. We want to gather all our ingredients together. In French it's called "Mise en place". Basically meaning we have to get our ingredients out and ready for us to use. Once we do that we also want to take out our bowl and other equipment needed.
4. Place sifter in bowl or get sifter ready, depending on which kind you have.
5. Now we are going to place our dry ingredients all together. So in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and then sift it through.
6. This is how it looks after it's sifted. We sift to aerate and get rid of lumps and impurities.
7. Now our dry is done, so we have to work on the wet ingredients. In a bowl or a large measuring cup combine the buttermilk, egg, melted butter, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla and whisk until combined.
8. This is how the wet ingredients should like after being whisked together.
9. Now we want to combine our wet ingredients into our dry ingredients and combine until just moistened.
10. After it's all combined, we want to fold in the strawberries. Make sure you don't over mix it and just fold it in. We just want to combine the ingredients, not beat them to death.
11. After you fold in the strawberries, we are going to transfer the batter into the cake pan.
12. Spread it around to fill the cake pan.
13. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
14. Once done take it out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Look at that baby.
15. While it's cooling you can make the strawberry topping. In a bowl combine the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice and mix.
16. After the cake has been cooling for about 10-15 minutes, take it out of the pan and place on plate.
17. Once the cake is completely cool to the touch, then we are ready to assemble! Take the whipped topping and put it on top of the cake.
18. Add the strawberries to the top and arrange them how you want them.
19. Enjoy! THIS IS DELICIOUS. It's moist, spongy and light. Great on a hot day, but works for any day!